Sunday, July 10, 2011

Happy British Nakba Day (July 4th)

Last Monday, my roommate Shimon hosted his annual July 4th Barbeque. It was quite the event, with somewhere between 70 to 100 people in attendance. Shim had 3 grills going and we went through a ton of burgers, a heap of hot dogs and a few beers. The party featured a special Shimon crafter “America” playlist (Shimon takes his playlists very serious… don’t touch his iPod at his events... or ever for that matter) that even featured a few country tunes that he allowed me to contribute in order to really encompass all that is good about the US. The crowd was a mix of Americans, Canadians, Australians, Brits, New Zealanders, South Africans and even Israelis. Yamit, my Israeli friend and co-worker, later commented that there were not enought Americans at the party. I justified the crowd in explaining that the barbeque was the ideal venue for Americans like Shimon and I to showcase how amazing US is to foreigners from around the world.Jeremy and I made a nice bon fire and I cooked up an again slightly overly sweet pot of poike – I am getting better at it – no burn this time. Next time I’ll go easier on the coke and I’m sure it’ll be my best poike yet. Sorry I don’t have a lot of pics from the event – here are the two that I do have.
Aviva Honoring the Flag

Patriotic Poike

Happy Belated America Day. Or as a friend from London called it, the British Nakba Day. Nakba means "day of the catastrophe" in Arabic. The Nakba is annually observed by Israel's Neighbors and Palestinian and Israeli Arabs to commemorate, mourn and re-threaten the birth and existence of the State of Israel. I thought it was a cute joke on what is otherwise a terrible and hate filled concept.

No comments:

Post a Comment